Students conversing

Health Professions FAQ

Interested in Health Professions?

What do I have to do to major in premed, pre-vet, or pre-dent?

There is no major in pre-med, pre-veterinary, pre-dentistry. For all of the professional schools you typically need 16 hours of chemistry, including organic chemistry (and biochemistry for some schools) four courses in biology and 2 biology laboratories, and 8 hours of physics, in order to apply. However, for medical school preparation, you may major in anything! Many students choose biology or chemistry as their major. We can help you understand individual professional school requirements.

What percentage of students is accepted into medical school or other professional schools each year from Incarnate Word?

It is hard to give a precise answer to this question, because many students do not apply directly from their UIW programs. What we can say is that our qualified students are successful in getting into medical school. 90% of UIW students with a GPA of 3.5 or above and a MCAT Score of 25 and above were granted admission to medical schools since 2002. The results for dental schools and vet school are similar. It is more difficult to get into Vet school, but we have had many successful applicants.

Since 2001, our students have been accepted to UTHSCSA Medical and Dental Schools, UTHSC Houston Medical and Dental Schools, UT Southwestern, Texas Tech, UTMB Galveston, , Boston University, Baylor Medical College, Harvard Medical College, Howard University School of Medicine, SW College of Naturopathic Medicine, National College of Naturopathic Medicine, University of San Francisco School of Podiatry, Texas A&M School of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University School of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University School of Veterinary Medicine, UT Austin School of Pharmacy, UIW Feik School of Pharmacy, and UIW Rosenberg School of Optometry.

What can Incarnate Word do to help me reach my goal of being a Doctor, Dentist, Optometrist, or other professional in the healthcare professions?

Medical, dental and other schools look for more than just good grades and high test scores. They want students with a broad education who are compassionate, caring, and dedicated to service. This is consistent with the Mission of the University of the Incarnate Word. You will receive a broad education and unique opportunities to demonstrate your talents and values of service to humanity. We can also help you get the required exposure to the medical field through our contacts with Christus Healthcare.

4. Who can I contact to help me at UIW?

Our health professions advisor is a student advocates who can help you make an informed career choice by helping you gain access to information, assist you in evaluating your strengths and weaknesses, help you in your preparation for the field, and connect you with university and community resources. Our goal is for you to make your application as good as possible. To help you with this we will:

  • Assist in the selection of a health professions career;
  • Provide information on requirements of the various health professions;
  • Assess progress of academic preparation for entering a health profession;
  • Identify ways to gain appropriate exposure to the chosen field;
  • Disseminate information about on-campus and off-campus academic opportunities that will strengthen preparation;
  • Support during the application process to ensure successful completion of all materials in a timely manner;
  • Coordinate the preparation of letters of reference for applications to special programs and applications to professional schools.

Contact Dr. Bonnie McCormick; Dr. Edward Gonzalez

Special Programs Associated with UIW

Early Admission – During your freshman or sophomore year, you may apply to one of these participating programs. Admission is determined by the participating medical or dental school. For additional information, please review the appropriate web site.

JAMP – Joint Admission Medical Program (After Freshman year)

The Joint Admission Medical Program (JAMP) was created by the Texas Legislature to provide guidance and support to economically disadvantaged students who are interested in becoming physicians. To be eligible, students must have a Pell Grant and have the minimum SAT or ACT score that is the average of Texas scores for that academic year.

Boston University College of Medicine (sophomore year)

UIW is one of only two Texas schools that participate in this program. Students accepted into this program at the end of their sophomore year spend two summers at Boston University (BU) and their senior year at BU. If the student successfully completes the program they will be offered admission to BU Medical School. Admission is based on academic achievement and an interview. UIW has had several successful BU applicants in the last few years.

UTHSCSA “3+4” Program for Dental School (freshman year)

The student may apply after completing 12 to 30 hours of college work. Acceptance to the program is based on an interview and undergraduate grade point average. Students must complete pre-dental requirements and a special three-year curriculum with a grade of C or better in all courses, with a cumulative GPA of 3.4, a science GPA of 3.4 and a score of at least 19 on the Academic Average of the DAT (dental admission test).

For more information contact Dr. Bonnie McCormick

Web Resources



More Quick Links