Welcome to the Graduate Support Center!
UIW's Graduate Support Center (GSC) was established through a federal grant under the Department of Education's Promoting Post-baccalaureate Opportunities for Hispanic Americans (PPOHA) program. The GSC's staff directs a variety of activities geared towards increasing student retention, academic performance, and persistence to graduation.
The GSC seeks to achieve its goals and objectives to coordinate academic and support activities for master's students by engaging them in graduate life by the following services:
- Academic and Professional Development workshop series to enhance student academic performance;
- Graduate Writing Institute (GWI) that creates a dynamic process for evaluating student writing via a diagnostic review process and active engagement with faculty writing coaches;
- Graduate Student and Family Orientation Program which facilitates the entrance of students and the engagement of their familial support networks into the University community
- Community Engagement Programs that connect students to the UIW community and their disciplines via the sponsorship of academic/professional clubs, networking, and other activities;
- Academic Peer Mentoring (APM) in writing and statistics;
- Increased communication with graduate faculty and students via weekly newsletters and timely announcements on academic and career-related matters.