The Green Campus
Go Green Suggestions
- Buy “green” out of our office supply catalog (recycled products).
- Print everything using both sides.
- Save paper by printing on the backs of discarded (insensitive) documents. If a document contains confidential information, shred.
- Don’t print anything you can read off the computer screen.
- During the day, setting your computer to automatically go to sleep during short breaks can cut energy use by 70 percent.
- Consider making scratch pads from discarded paper.
- Recycle all office paper/newspapers, etc., shredding when appropriate, and otherwise using the recycle boxes.
- Don’t buy plastic or Styrofoam cups.
- Bring your own mug and dishware to the office.
- Recycle all aluminum cans and plastic bottles.
- Avoid buying bottled water.
- Turn off lights when gone for 15 minutes or more. This is the period of time found to take less energy than to just leave the lights on.
- If you have windows, consider rearranging your office to best use natural light.
- Recycle toner and ink cartridges and buy remanufactured ones if printer accepts.
- Check to see if catalogs you regular order from are on-line. If so, remove yourself from the mailing list for the printed version.
- When you receive unwanted catalogs, newsletters, magazines, or junk mail, ask to be removed from the mailing list. Then recycle the item.