The Green Campus

Headwaters at Incarnate Word

Headwaters at Incarnate Word was established by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to preserve, protect, restore and celebrate the rich natural, cultural, historical, spiritual and educational values of the headwaters of the San The Blue HoleAntonio River, especially within the 53-acre Headwaters Sanctuary adjacent to the University campus.  The Sanctuary is the last remaining undeveloped property from the original 283-acres the Sisters originally purchased from Col. George Brackenridge back in 1897. It includes the historic San Antonio Springs (Blue Hole), and protects ancient antiquities dating back to the Paleo Indians. Headwaters also aims to cultivate an ecological ethic embracing environmentally responsible behavior and actions. 

Over the years, faculty and staff of the University have been involved with numerous Headwaters projects, including:

  • water quality testing
  • taking inventories of flora, fauna and aquatic life contained within the Sanctuary and campus
  • removal of non-native species to make room for ones native to the area
  • preservation and documentation of the history of human activity on the land, which dates back more than 10,000 headwaters volunteeryears.

Headwaters hosts regular volunteer work days on Wednesday mornings from 8:30 am to 11:30 am, and again on either Fridays (mornings/afternoons) or Saturdays (mornings).  Students receive off-campus community service hours when they volunteer with Headwaters.  Check the website for the current Volunteer Calendar.

The Headwaters at Incarnate Word, Inc. is a non-profit sponsored Earth care ministry of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.

For more information contact: Helen Ballew, Executive Director, Headwaters at Incarnate Word
(210) 828-2224, ext. 232 or helen@headwaters-iw.org

Read More: http://www.headwaters-iw.org

 


More Quick Links