2010 - 2012 Graduate Bulletin

IX. Financial Assistance

The University of the Incarnate Word has developed a program of financial assistance that enables you to obtain the small class environment, personalized instruction, and quality academic programs that distinguish us as a private university.

The primary purpose of student financial assistance is to provide resources to students who would otherwise be unable to pursue a post-secondary education. Financial assistance programs are designed to supplement a family’s efforts to meet educational costs. The University of the Incarnate Word has developed a program of financial assistance that enables you to obtain the small class environment, personalized instruction and quality academic programs that distinguish us as a private university. The financial assistance philosophy at the University is to meet the direct costs or financial need of all eligible students until funds are exhausted.

To be considered for most types of financial assistance at the University of the Incarnate Word, a student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a University of the Incarnate Word Student Information Form, and other documents as required by the office of Financial Assistance for every year that you want to be considered. A student must also be accepted by the University and be enrolled in a degree-seeking program. In most cases, only students who are citizens or eligible non-citizens can apply for financial assistance.

Students applying for financial assistance are considered for all programs for which they are eligible, including federal, state, and institutional programs. Financial Assistance is awarded on a first come, first serve basis (April 1st priority deadline); therefore it is important to begin the application process as early as possible. Copies of the FAFSA and the Student Information forms may be obtained at the Office of Financial Assistance, located in the Enrollment Services Center across Broadway.

Non-degree status students are not eligible for financial aid.

Types of Financial Assistance Available

Three basic categories of financial support are offered through the Office of Financial Assistance: (1) scholarships, (2) loans, and (3) employment. In our attempts to meet a student’s financial need, they may be awarded individually or in combination with other programs in the form of a financial assistance package.


Graduate and Doctoral students may be eligible for scholarships from private and government sources. Most of these are designed for particular personal characteristics, career objectives, or programs of study. For further details, contact the Office of Financial Assistance.


Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan

  • Must be enrolled at least half-time
  • Variable interest rate (not to exceed 8.5%)
  • Repayment begins 6 months after graduation or when student is no longer enrolled at least half-time
  • Based on demonstrated financial need
  • Student chooses a private lender

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

  • Terms and conditions are the same as the Federal Stafford Loan
  • Borrower is responsible for interest that accrues during deferment periods (including time in school) and during 6-month grace period


  • Federal Work-Study Program
  • Must be enrolled half-time
  • Positions available are on campus
  • Based on demonstrated financial need

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Higher Education Amendment Act of 1965, as amended, mandates institutions of higher education to establish a minimum standard of “Satisfactory Academic Progress” for students receiving financial aid. UIW makes its standard applicable to all federal, state, and institutional financial assistance programs for the purpose of maintaining a consistent policy for all students receiving financial aid.

To make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), students must meet all of the following standards:


Students must maintain a cumulative GPA minimum requirement at the end of each academic year for all credit hours attempted at UIW. Graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA. If the cumulative GPA drops below the minimum requirement, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.


The number of credit hours a student attempts may not exceed 125% of the number of credit hours required for graduation in his or her program of study, as published in the University catalog. That is, if the published number of hours required for graduation is 128, a student may not attempt more than 160 credit hours (128 X 1.25 = 160) and continue to receive financial aid. All periods of enrollment must be considered, even those for which the student did not receive financial aid as well as hours transferred in from another school. If the number of attempted hours reaches 125% of the hours for graduation, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

Attempted hours include all registered hours per semester whether or not the student earns a grade or receives credit. The following are considered hours attempted, but not completed:

  • “F” grades
  • “AU” Audited courses
  • “W” or “IP” grades

Completed hours include all semester hours for which the student earns a grade:

  • “A” through “C” grades for graduate students
  • “P” passing with credit
  • all transfer hours accepted for credit


During the academic year (Fall and Spring), a student who receives financial aid must successfully complete a minimum of 75% of all attempted course work. If the number of completed hours drops below 75% of attempted hours, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

If a student attempts (registers for) 18 credit hours in an academic year, he or she must complete a minimum of 13.5 credit hours (.75 X 18 = 13.5) in order to make SAP for the year.

If a student attempts 36 credit hours, he or she must complete a minimum of 27 credit hours (75% X 36 = 27) to be making SAP.

If at the end of the second year a student has attempted 30 credit hours, he or she must have completed a minimum of 22.5 credit hours (.75 X 30 = 22.5) to be making SAP.

NOTE: all partial credit hours will be rounded down to the nearest hour.


At the end of each Academic Year (Spring semester) the Office of Financial Assistance will review the progress of each financial aid recipient for SAP. Students will be reviewed to ensure that they are meeting the following criteria:

  • Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate students)
  • Successful completion of at least 75% of all attempted course work for all periods of enrollment (cumulative), even those for which the student did not receive financial aid.
  • Total attempted hours does not exceed 125% of the published length of the program of study.


In the event that a student does not meet the requirements for SAP, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid Termination. This means that the student will not be eligible for any type of federal, state, or institutional aid until he or she has returned to satisfactory academic progress.


Students whose eligibility for financial aid has been terminated may appeal the decision in writing to the Director of Financial Assistance if they believe that they had extenuating circumstances that led to their unsatisfactory progress. The Director will notify the student in writing of the decision.

To appeal for the reinstatement of financial aid eligibility, complete and submit the Termination Review Form. A completed form must include:

  1. A letter from the student documenting the extenuating circumstances. For example, personal illness or medical problems, death in the family, etc. This letter should provide a detailed explanation of the situation. If the student has exceeded the maximum time frame and is appealing based on a change of major, he or she should state the reason for the change and submit a new program of study or degree plan that indicates the number of hours remaining to be taken in the new major. The student must also provide a statement from his or her academic advisor indicating the number of credit hours from the previous major that will apply to the new major.

  2. The student’s name, Social Security Number, address and phone number. Students who have been placed on Financial Aid Termination because they do not meet the GPA or Enrollment Status requirement may do the following if they decide not to appeal, or if their appeal is not approved: Students may attend UIW during a semester or summer term without financial aid. When they meet the SAP requirements again, their eligibility for aid will be reviewed for reinstatement.

More Quick Links