Chapter X. University Services

The commitment made by the University to the education of the individual includes the development of the whole person. The administration, faculty, and staff recognize that the student is not merely a recipient of knowledge, but a developing individual preparing for a larger role in society—beyond the university experience. To this end, the University provides a variety of services and programs designed to assist the individual in the process of development and to enable him/her to make the best possible use of university experience.

Campus Ministry

Campus Ministry brings people together to create and celebrate community, to share faith, to support spiritual growth, to promote peace and justice, and to become involved in service on behalf of those in need. Persons of all faiths are welcome and encouraged to become involved in the programs and activities. Campus Ministry is a clearinghouse of opportunities for community service and service learning, and provides such programs as interfaith retreats and Alternative Spring Break to broaden students’ educational experiences. A variety of formal and informal worship opportunities—Catholic and Interdenominational are available. Faith sharing and Bible Study Groups as well as preparation for the Sacraments of Initiation—Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist are available. Join the Campus Ministry team as a Peer Minister or as an Associate, or simply participate in any of the free programs and events.

Counseling Service

The services offered by the Counseling Center are designed to provide assistance in resolving problems encountered by students as they seek to grow intellectually, emotionally, and socially. It is the Center’s philosophy that each person should be encouraged and given the opportunity to take responsibility for is/her own decision-making process and life style. The Counseling Center staff facilitates this process in an environment of understanding and confidentiality through personal and educational counseling. The staff is also available to provide a variety of small group workshops.

Food Service

The Student Center is the location of Marian Hall Café, the main dining facility and the administrative office of Sodexho, the food service contractor. The café features a full meal entrée line, a la carte selections, made-to-order grill items, salad and deli bars, cook to order entrée line and desserts. Fountain drinks, bottled beverages, and snacks are also available. All resident students are required to participate in one of the various food plan options. Commuting students may also purchase meal plans or pay a la carte. The hours of operation vary at all locations during the Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter holidays and during the fall and spring semester breaks. Hortencia’s Café, located on the ground floor of the Administration Building, features Chik-Fil-A, Freshens Yogurt, and Pretzel Logic. A variety of convenience items, snacks, frozen meals and pre-packaged foods are available. Java on the Hill is a coffee shop located on the fourth floor of the McCombs Center adjacent to the University Bookstore. Stop in to enjoy a cup of your favorite Starbucks® Coffee, salads, pastries and desserts, individual pizzas, snacks, and an assortment of bottled beverages, including beer and wine, in a relaxing atmosphere. Finnegan’s, a coffee shop located just inside the first floor entrance of the J.E. & L.E. Mabee Library, features  Starbucks® coffee, bottled beverages, pastries and wrap sandwiches. Purchases may be made with the University meal Plan, cash, or credit card at all locations.

Health Services

The Campus Health Center provides basic health services that focus on primary prevention care, health education and counseling, emergency care and the maintenance of health records. Students enrolled in programs that require clinical experience in affiliated hospitals and clinics must comply with the health policy requirements of those institutions.

Intramural Activities

The University of the Incarnate Word provides a wide range of physical activities to the University community through the intramural and recreation program. A variety of individual, dual, and team activities are offered in the intramural and recreational programs. Also, team sports offer co-ed divisions. Students, faculty, and staff have an opportunity to participate in these recreational and competitive activities as players, officials, scorers, and activity managers. Programs are facilitated in the Fall and Spring semesters. Limited programs are offered during the Summer semesters.

Learning Assistance Center

The Learning Assistance Center (LAC) assists students in their quest for success.  For those seeking to improve their academic performance, the LAC tutors can help in a competent, friendly, and professional manner. Tutors also assist with note taking, time management, and study skills.  One-hour sessions for individuals or groups are available. LAC tutors are recommended by three faculty members and have a 3.0 GPA or higher.

For more information call 210.829.3870 or visit our web site:

Office of Career Services

The Office of Career Services is committed to providing career counseling and education to all UIW programs and alumni.  The services offered include, but are not limited to, the annual UIW Job Fair, individual career counseling, personality and career assessment, resume and cover letter review, career related workshops, and software resources.  A career resource library is also available.

The Center provides job search assistance to help students secure employment through mock interviews, on-campus interviews, online job posting in Career Circuit, and training in job-search skills.  The staff of the Center monitors the employment needs of the San Antonio community, school districts, businesses, and social services agencies.  Assistance is provided to students who are seeking full-time, part-time, internships, and on campus employment.

Security and Parking

A professional police department, commissioned by the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, provides services to enhance the safety and security of the personnel and property of the University community. The Campus Police Department is responsible for the enforcement of the University policies including, but not limited to, parking, traffic control, building access, and student conduct, as well as special events.

For the protection of all concerned, it is expected that students and staff alike carry a University campus identification card.

All automobiles parked on campus must be registered with the Campus Police Department. In order to park on campus, students must pay a parking fee, which entitles the student to obtain and display a parking decal. Students may purchase decals in the University Business Office. Failure to exhibit a decal will be cause for ticketing. For more information on parking and parking decals see Parking under Financial Information page 87.

Parking regulations will be strictly enforced. Violators will be ticketed and charged. A repeat violation will result in the towing of the vehicle at the owner’s expense.  The University will not be responsible for automobiles parked on the campus, nor for damages thereto. The University assumes no responsibility for the condition of, or cost for retrieval of, any vehicles towed due to parking violations.

The Student Center and Leadership Activities

Inherent in the development of each student is the opportunity to learn leadership skills and to participate in campus activities. The Office of Student Center and Leadership Activities, located in Marian Hall, provides students with a wide range of opportunities to participate in social, political service, and educational organizations, including the Student Government Association and the Campus Activities Board.

Student Disability Services

The University of the Incarnate Word ensures accessibility to its programs, services, and activities for qualified individuals with documented disabilities.  This is accomplished through a variety of accommodations and services tailored to meet each individual’s needs and strengths.  Students must provide the Student Disability Services with appropriate documentation of the disability at the time services and/or accommodations are requested.  For more information, please contact the Student Disability Services Office in Room 105 of the Administration Building or by phone at 210-829-3997, or by fax at 210-805-5895 or by email at

Student Housing

On-campus housing is available upon request for full-time students. Housing for part-time students is offered as space is available. All international students are encouraged to live on campus while enrolled at UIW. Nine residence halls are provided: Clement Hall, Colbert Hall, Dubuis Hall, Marian Hall, Agnese/Sosa Living Learning Center, St. Joseph’s Hall, McCombs Hall, Hillside and the newest building adjacent to Highway 281. In addition, the Village of Avoca provides two bedrooms, four bed apartments. All halls are air-conditioned and equipped with lounges, laundry facilities, and TV rooms. 

A room may be reserved by completing a Housing and Board agreement and application and submitting it with a $225.00 deposit to the Office of Residence Life. Housing is available for the summer session.

Room assignments are made based on application and deposit dates without regard to race, creed, or national origin. Although most students have roommates, single rooms are also available. If housing occupancy reaches maximum capacity, a waiting list will be maintained with preference given to out-of-town students.  All residents are required to purchase a meal plan per semester.

A trained staff and student Resident Assistants supervise the residence halls. Their role is to help facilitate community living, serve as a resource, and enforce University policies.

The University issues “Guidelines for Community Living in the Residence Halls”, which provide information about the residence halls.

At the end of the fall and spring semesters, the residence halls close at 3:00 p.m. on the last day of classes until noon on the day preceding resumption of classes. Break housing during these breaks is available for an additional fee.

For further information on Residence Life contact the Campus Life Office at 210-829-6034 or check or go to the UIW website—

Student ID

Each enrolled student is provided with an official University identification Card enabling her/him to attend University functions and make use of University facilities and services.

ID cards can be used to purchase food on campus, check out books from the library, and gain entry into the residence halls, Wellness Center, and athletic events.

Because the ID is necessary for security as well as other purposes, any lost, misplaced, or missing ID cards should be reported immediately to the Campus Life Office. The cost to replace a lost ID card is $10.00. Delay in reporting a lost ID card could result in such things as food being purchased by another student and library books being checked out without proper authorization.

At the request of a University official, students are required to present this card as evidence of student status at UIW. Failure to present an ID could result in disciplinary action. The University ID card is nontransferable. Any alterations to the University ID card, false representation in obtaining, and/or violation related to one’s use of the ID card will result in the forfeiture of the card. Serious disciplinary action, up to and including suspension from the University, is possible.