Graduate Bulletin

IX. Financial Information

Home  >  Graduate Bulletin  >  IX. Financial Information

Tuition and Financial Regulations

The University of the Incarnate Word is an independent institution and receives no direct support from state or federal taxes. Subsequently, all of the instructional and operating costs of the University are paid by student tuition. The difference between such costs and the amount paid by the student is subsidized by income from endowment, grants for special projects, and gifts from alumni, and other friends who recognize the value of our educational program.

The University endeavors to arrange loans, discounts, grants-in-aid, employment, and scholarships to enable students to continue in an academic program.


Tuition, fees, and other charges vary from year to year. They may also be obtained from the School of Graduate Studies and Research office or they may be obtained on the Business Office webpage.


A one-time housing deposit is required upon submission of the housing application. The deposit will be returned to the student from the Business Office when the resident makes a proper checkout from the Resident Halls. The deposit will remain on their account with the Business Office as long as they are a resident in the Residence Halls. Residents are responsible for damages that occur in their residence. A $500 cancellation fee and loss of deposit will be assessed if a resident breaks their housing contract during the contract period.

Residence Halls and Dining Services

Students are provided the following options for Campus Housing: Nine residence halls include triple, double, and single rooms; Village of Avoca, provides two bedrooms, four person apartment units; the McCombs Center offers apartment style housing units, which, provides single and double rooms.

Food service plans are required for all students residing on campus. Residents are required to purchase meal plans each semester including summer sessions. The meal plan does roll over from fall to spring if there is a balance, but remaining balances are forfeited after the Spring Semester. Food service is provided at four facilities on campus, which include the Marian Hall Food Court, Hortencia's, Finnegan's, and Java on the Hill.

Tuition Discounts

Tuition discounts are available for part-time/full-time undergraduate or graduate students who qualify for such discounts such as the Active Duty Military and their dependents, Civilian Department of Defense Employees (no dependents), Retired Military (no dependents), UIW/SAHS/IWHS Employees and their dependents.
Military and Civilian Department of Defense discounts apply to any student enrolled with the Main Campus. Those students eligible are active duty military with or without a Tuition Assistance Form and their dependents, civilian Department of Defense employees (no dependents), and retired military (no dependents). Extended Academic Programs applies to active duty military and their dependents. The discount will be applied to tuition only and any other fees associated with enrollment will be the responsibility of the student. Discounts are not applicable to students for whom 100% tuition is paid by any third party payor. Discounts may be reversed if payment is received after discount(s) are applied. The Business Office and Office of Financial Assistance determine eligibility. Refer to the University Payment Policy located under the Tuition and Financial Regulations. Discounts may vary between University programs (Main Campus, ADCaP, or Virtual University).

It is the responsibility of the student to present their valid identification or current military identification along with any Tuition Assistance Forms to the Business Office within the specified dated as published by the University course schedule. Those courses pertaining to ADCaP, Virtual University, and mini semesters have ten days from the first day of classes to submit a valid identification, application and/or TA form(s) to qualify for the discount.

Tuition discounts are available for any individual who is employed at the University of the Incarnate Word, Incarnate Word High School or St. Anthony Catholic High School on a regular, full-time employment agreement (for at least 75% of the time) as a faculty, administrator, or staff. Employees may receive tuition remission for themselves for undergraduate and/or graduate classes taken at UIW per the guidelines listed in the UIW/IWHS/SACHS Administrator/Staff Guidelines & Faculty Handbook. Employee tuition waiver forms are available through the Human Resources Office. According to the Administrative/Staff Guidelines, the deadline for submission of Employee Tuition Waiver forms is 14 calendar days after the last day to add a course for the term. For further information, please contact the Human Resources Office at (210) 829-6019. The discount will be applied to tuition only and any other fees associated with enrollment will be the responsibility of the student. Refer to the University Payment Policy located under the Tuition and Financial Regulations.

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for tuition discounts. The student and his/her family must apply using the appropriate application form(s) and provide all necessary information to complete each application (i.e., valid identification(s), tuition assistance form(s)) to receive consideration for these discounts. Applications for these tuition discounts should be submitted to the respective departments or the Business Office according to the deadlines posted in each respective semester schedule of classes. No discount(s) will be applied after the deadline indicated in the semester schedule of classes..

All discounts will be evaluated and assessed to the student account after the last day to add and drop a course for the respective term or within stated deadline outlined in the published Course Schedule. In order to continue receiving the discount, the student is responsible for submitting a new application and required information to complete the application each session (fall, spring, summer). Prospective students may call the Business Office at (210)829-6043 if they need appropriate forms or more information.

*Students pursuing a doctorate (PhD) are not eligible for these discounts, regardless if enrolled in a graduate level course. Your student financial aid award may be adjusted without notice due to receiving such discount(s). All discounts are subject to change without notice.

Veteran’s Benefits

Degree programs described in this bulletin have been approved for benefits under the various laws commonly referred to as the GI Bill. Eligible veterans and dependents should contact the VA Certifying Official for assistance in following established degree programs that will meet all VA requirements. Benefits are paid directly to the veteran.

Certification Procedures

Official transcripts of all previous University credits must be on file and evaluated toward a specific degree objective before the enrollment can be certified. Only courses that are required for the selected degree objective will be certified for benefits. All students applying for veteran’s benefits must complete the University of the Incarnate Word Request Form for VA Enrollment Certification each semester. This form may be obtained from the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office or on-line. Enrollment will be certified following registration for each semester. After initially registering for courses, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the VA Certifying Official of any subsequent change in registration.

Standards of Progress for Receipt of Veteran’s Benefits

Veteran’s regulations require that a student receiving veteran’s educational benefits select an approved degree objective (degree program) and make satisfactory progress toward completion of that objective or risk the possible suspension of benefits. Veterans must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the policies of the University of the Incarnate Word. When a student has failed to maintain prescribed standards of progress, the VA Office will be informed and benefits payments will be discontinued. In general, accumulative 2.0 GPA is required for graduation. Veterans who earn a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.00 will be placed on probation and given one semester to achieve the 2.00 requirement. Failure to obtain a cumulative 2.0 GPA at the end of the probationary semester will usually result in suspension of benefits.

Auditing Courses

Auditing courses are available to non-student, part-time or full-time students. Auditors that are non-students or are enrolled in a part-time status pay 50% of regular tuition for lecture courses and any associated course fees; however, full tuition is charged for limited enrollment, private instruction, and studio courses.

Audit courses follow the deadline for “Last day for 100% Refund” for any Undergraduate and Graduate courses. Deadlines may be found in the Main Campus Schedule of Classes (See Academic Calendar) or from the respective program administrator (i.e., ADCaP or Virtual University).

Full-time students may audit one lecture course (3-4 hours) per session (fall, spring, summer) at no cost. Any course fees associated with this enrollment will be the responsibility of the student.

Students are allowed to combine their total number of hours within a respective session to determine their full-time status. Undergraduates on the Main Campus are considered full-time with 12+ enrolled hours. A Graduate student on the Main Campus is considered full-time status at 9+ hours; a doctoral student is considered full-time status at 6+ hours. Full-time doctoral status changes when a doctoral student is in dissertation writing phase and is enrolled 3+ hours. If a full-time student falls under banded tuition and, with the audit class, does not exceed a total of 18 hours, no discount will be granted.

Students enrolled in our ADCaP program will be allowed to audit courses within that program. Audit discounts are not applicable to Virtual University courses.

The deadline for changing enrollment in a course from graded to audit status is printed in the respective Academic Calendar located in the University course schedule.


Payment Options:

  1. In addition to Financial Assistance and Work-Study programs, the University accepts cash, *check, and credit cards for payment of tuition and fees. Payments sent via mail should be forwarded to: UIW Business Office, 4301 Broadway, CPO 291, San Antonio, Texas 78209. All checks must include the student's name, account number, and specific term to insure proper credit to account. *Drop Box located next to Rm. 190 in Administration Building. The following credit cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover. Credit card payments are accepted over the telephone at (210) 829-6043.

    Secured Web payments for tuition and fees are accepted with your UIW pin number. The University offers students the option to pay their student accounts via the UIW ePayment Center, accessible through the myWord portal. Username for the myWord portal is the prefix to the students UIW e-mail; password is the same as the UIW e-mail password. For BannerWeb, if you have already been issued a PIN number you may use this same number to gain access to this screen. For students with no PIN number contact the Registrar's Office at (210) 829-6006.

  2. The University offers students a Tuition Payment Plan. The student can divide their payment into installments. It is the responsibility of the student to enroll in a payment plan each semester. Failure to remit these payments may result in withholding of credits, transcripts, diplomas, and a late payment fee each month for not submitting tuition payments as agreed. However, this will not exempt students from liability for those charges. Enrollment into this plan may include an application fee.

Students may access the UIW ePayment Center to enroll in a payment plan. For any additional information, please access the Business Office webpage on the UIW website, come by the Business Office, or call (210) 826-6043.

Payment Policy

  1. Payment arrangements must be finalized by the eighth calendar day from the first class day to the semester.
  2. Students who have not met their total financial obligations to the University may not be permitted to enroll for a subsequent academic term and current registration is subject to cancellation.
  3. Withdrawal without proper notice entails failure in all courses for the semester, and the student is held liable for the full payment of tuition, fees, and other charges.
  4. Students must pay their financial obligation to the University to have diplomas and transcripts released. In addition, if payment is not made in full, students may be prohibited from participating in the graduation ceremony.
  5. Students must pay their financial obligation to the University to have diplomas and transcripts released. In addition, if payment is not made in full, students may be prohibited from participating in the graduation ceremony.
  6. The student agrees to assume liability for any debt incurred during his/her attendance at the University. In the event of a delinquency or default, the student will pay all reasonable costs of collection including but not limited to attorney fees and necessary court costs. All fees are subject to change without notice.

Account Statements and Disputes

The University will send each student a statement of the student account on a monthly basis through the ePayment Center. The statement will serve as a full accounting of the student account activity for the period. Each student must review the statement promptly and notify the Business Office immediately at the telephone number or address provided on the statement of any errors or omissions in the statement. If any student does not receive a statement when it is due, the student should notify the Business Office promptly. Students are responsible to provide the University with the most current address and telephone number.

Any student must report any disputed items to the Business Office within 60 days after the disputed items appears on the student's statement. If the student fails to report a disputed item, he/she may not claim any liability on the part of the University in connection with the University handling of the item (items) in dispute. Before the University will consider making a refund or credit to the student because of a claimed discrepancy, the student must give the University a written statement containing any reasonable information the University may require (i.e. name, Student ID number, term, and discrepancy).

Returned Items/Insufficient Funds

When the bank for whatever reason returns a check, a nonrefundable returned check service charge is assessed. The student is given ten days from the date of notice to make full payment by cash, money order, or cashier's check. Once the student has had returned checks, the University reserves the right not to accept any personal checks from the student for future payments. Returned checks not paid will be submitted for collections.

Student Health Insurance

All full-time Domestic students (Full-time constitutes 12+ hours for undergraduates, 9+ for graduates and, 6+ for doctoral students*) and all International Students (eligibility is based on Admission status) are required to participate in the student accident and sickness insurance plan . Only domestic students are allowed to waive insurance when proof of existing personal domestic coverage is presented and an on-line waiver is completed at (Contact Business Office regarding additional waiver information). This plan protects students 24 hours a day, whether at home, school, or while traveling. The insurance plan is also available for dependents. This coverage is in effect during the interim vacation periods. Participation in intercollegiate athletics is not covered. Brochures that describe student health insurance cost and coverage details are available from the Office of Health Services, Business Office, or by logging on to:

Insurance must be waived on or before the stated waiver deadline posted in the Academic Calendar found in the University Course Schedule.

*Full-time doctoral status changes when student is in dissertation writing phase and/or 3 + hours (Doctoral students are not automatically charged in this status and must request and pay for insurance coverage after enrollment).

Note: Insurance is automatically assessed against the student's account. The charges will not be removed unless an on-line waiver is completed within the stated waiver deadline.

If charges do not appear on your student statement it reflects, no insurance premium has been submitted on your behalf. Application and full payment for dependent coverage is due the day of purchase. Eligibility of insurance is determined by insurance company.

Students currently enrolled in any University term(s) can purchase UIW students insurance for themselves and/or their *dependents at anytime from the Business Office during the academic school year.

*Individual student insurance must be purchased prior to availability for dependent coverage.


All automobiles or motorcycles parked on campus must be registered.

Register your vehicle on-line. Visit our Business Office Web Page by logging on to and clicking onto link Business Office.

Part-time and graduate students will be assessed a fee dependent upon the number of semester hours they are taking any given semester. A lost or stolen permit can be replaced at the Business Office. The fee for a replacement permit is the full-time charge for the respective semester. Failure to exhibit a decal will be cause for ticketing. Incarnate Word High School and St. Anthony Catholic High School decals are valid parking credentials at the University. Parking regulations will be strictly enforced. Violators will be ticketed and charged. A repeat violation will result in the towing of the vehicle at the owner's expense.

The University will not be responsible for automobiles parked on campus, or for damages thereto. The University assumes no responsibility for the condition of, or cost for retrieval of, any vehicle towed due to parking violations.

* The following applies for individuals with a handicap placard:
Present your original letter issued by the state or the placard (decal);

  1. A valid driver's license;
  2. A current copy of the vehicle registration (i.e. renewal of license plates receipts from the Tax Assessor/Collector).*

*These students must still register their vehicle and pick up a UIW Disability Decal at the Business Office.

Important Notes about Financial Aid Policies and Billing Practices:

The aid package you receive is based on information currently on file with the Financial Assistance Office. If any of the following occurs, your aid package will be revised and/or nullified:

  1. Change or reduce semester hours
  2. Drop housing status and/or meal plan
  3. Receive grants, scholarships, or other aid from any source not on file with the Financial Assistance Office
  4. Not maintaining satisfactory academic progress as defined by Federal Financial Aid regulations. See the Office of Financial Assistance or log on to and go to the financial assistance web page for more details.

Please check with the Financial Assistance Office about the impact of these or other changes as they might have a serious impact on the aid you receive.

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for financial aid every award year. The University does not arrange financial aid for the student. It is the student and his/her family who must apply using the appropriate form(s) to receive consideration for financial aid, whether offered by a federal agency or a lending institution. Applications for financial assistance should normally be submitted by the student prior to the April 1 priority deadline for the coming school year in order to insure availability of funds. Prospective students may call the Financial Assistance Office if they need appropriate forms or more information.

Withdrawals and Refunds

Refunds will be determined after the 100% drop date has ended, after funds are disbursed to your account, or 14 days after the first day of class for the current semester, whichever is later. All refunds are mailed to the primary residence address on file.

A student's withdrawal from the University will be considered as occurring the day he or she submits a completed official withdrawal form to the University Advising Center. Forms for adding or dropping courses are available in the Registrar's Office or on-line. Notice to an instructor or any other office does not cancel registration or a student's contract with the Business Office.


Depending upon a student's financial assistance status, one of the following two categories of refund policies will apply:

    1. Non-title IV Student-Students not receiving any federal financial aid.

  1. Title IV Student-Students attending and receiving federal financial aid. Students will be refunded
    tuition and fee charges based on the percentages outlined in the Semester Schedule of Courses. If students have received federal aid during the semester and withdraw from all courses within the first 60% of calendar days of the semester, the Office of Financial Assistance will return the unused portion of federal aid funds disbursed based on the guidelines established by the Department of Education.

Please see the Semester Schedule of Courses for the specific withdrawal dates for each individual semester and their percentages. There is a refund schedule for Non-Title IV recipients and Title IV recipients.

Meal Plans: The unused portion of a meal plan purchased in the summer and fall term may be used in the following spring term. Unused meal points at the end of the spring semester are forfeited and not refundable. Meal plans are not transferable. When a resident student withdraws from the University, the lesser of the unused portion or prorated amount of the meal plan will be credited to the student's account.

Unused federal aid will be returned in the following manner as applicable:

  • Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Subsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant
  • Federal National SMART Grant
  • Federal SEOGS Grants
  • Other Federal Aid
  • State, Private, and Institutional Aid
  • Student Payments
  • Parent Payments

Late Disbursement of Federal Loans and Grants, Private, or State financial aid:

The Financial Assistance Office will determine, based on federal or state regulations or private source regulations, the amounts to be credited to the student's account prior to the return of Title IV calculation.

Examples of refund calculations are available in the Business Office.

Appeals to Refund Policy

Contact the Business Office for exceptions to the withdrawal and refund policy due to medical or other extenuating circumstances.

Return of Title IV Funds

As a requirement set forth by the Department of Education, the Office of Financial Assistance is required to return a percentage of Federal Financial Aid that was disbursed to students who have completely withdrawn from UIW or have stopped attending all classes (unofficial withdrawal). The amount of aid returned is determined by the following formula:

  • Number of days attended / Total days in the semester = % of aid “earned”.

Any aid above and beyond this amount must be returned to its source. Additionally, if you receive a partial or full refund of tuition and fees, any State or Institutional grants must be reduced by the percentage of refund you received. Please call the office of Financial Assistance at (210) 829-6008 if you have any questions about the effect of a withdrawal on your financial aid.

Please remember that withdrawals affect your future status of Satisfactory Academic Progress. For more information about Satisfactory Academic Progress, please see

The amounts owed for a Title IV return will be refunded to their sources in the following order:

  • Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Subsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal PLUS loan for Graduate Students
  • Federal Parent PLUS Loans
  • Federal PELL Grants
  • Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant
  • Federal National SMART Grant
  • Federal SEOG Grants
  • Other Title IV Assistance
  • State, Private, and Institutional Aid
  • Student Payments
  • Parent Payments

A student that withdraws and has received financial assistance must complete an exit counseling session. A student can fulfill this requirement by logging on to or visiting the Office of Financial Assistance for a counseling interview. In addition, if students received an institutional loan such as Perkins, Ralston, Nursing, or Faculty Nursing and are not planning on attending the forthcoming semester or are planning to graduate, these students are required to complete an electronic exit interview. Please call the Business Office at (210) 829-6084 if you have any questions.

Late Disbursement of Federal Loans and Grants, Private or State Financial Aid:
The Office of Financial Assistance will determine the amounts to be credited to the student’s account prior to the refund calculation based on federal or state regulations or private source regulations.

Funds Not Yet Received at the Time of Withdrawal

If a student withdraws before federal funds are received and/or disbursed, the Office of Financial Assistance will determine the amount(s) to be returned according to each funding source guideline. The Office of Financial Assistance will notify the student and the Business Office of any changes. A student receiving financial assistance should meet with a financial aid counselor before withdrawing or reducing hours to determine the impact on the student’s award.