Graduate Bulletin

III. Academic Regulations

Home  >  Graduate Bulletin  >  III. Academic Regulations

Catalog of Graduation

Candidates for a post-baccalaureate degree will graduate upon completion of the program requirements stated in the catalog in effect at the time of their admission to the program. Time limit for the master’s degree is seven years and for the doctoral degree is ten years. Under certain circumstances, upon recommendation of the Program Advisor, the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research may extend the time limit. However, if an extension beyond the published time limit for the degree is granted, the student will be required to fulfill requirements of a subsequent catalog.

Changes in Graduate Bulletin rules and regulations, other than course and GPA requirements for a degree, become effective immediately upon approval by the proper University authorities and are not subject to the Catalog of Graduation policy cited above.

Requirements in the program of study are based upon the Bulletin of entry; however, academic policies in the current Bulletin apply to all students regardless of Bulletin of entry.

Graduate Credit and Course Numbers

The first digit of the course number indicates the class level of the course; 5000-9999 is graduate level. Every graduate degree must have a minimum of 30 hours of courses at the 6000 or above level. Under special circumstances, at the recommendation of the Program Advisor, the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research may approve application of up to six credit hours of 4000 level courses to a Master’s level degree with 36 or more hours. No course can be counted for credit in more than one degree.

Selected Topics courses (numbered 6399) may be offered in any discipline, and are repeatable as topics change. If those courses are in disciplines that do not offer a graduate program, they need the approval of a Program Advisor and the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. Tutorials (Independent Study, numbered 6398) are available in some disciplines. No more than six hours of independent study course work may apply toward a degree without permission from the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research and the Dean of the College/School.

Credit hours earned cannot be used to satisfy requirements in more than one degree program. A student holding a master’s degree from UIW may receive a second master’s degree provided the following requirements are fulfilled:

  1. No more than 6 semester hours may be utilized from the first master’s degree to satisfy requirements within the second master’s degree.
  2. Complete all requirements for the additional degree including all prerequisites and elective courses as specified in the appropriate section of the graduate bulletin.
  3. Two master’s degrees may be awarded simultaneously provided that the requirements listed above are met.

Students admitted to UIW’s Accelerated Bachelors/Masters programs may apply a maximum of up to nine graduate credit hours towards both the undergraduate and graduate degree. Please refer to the specific program description for the number of eligible graduate credits applicable to both degree programs.

Methods of Instruction

Classroom Instruction

Classroom instruction is the traditional face-to-face classroom setting. A traditionally delivered three-semester course should contain 45 to 48 contact hours depending on whether there is a final exam.

Blended Instruction

Blended learning is a pedagogical approach that combines the effectiveness and socialization opportunities of the traditional “face to face” classroom with the technologically enhanced active learning possibilities of the online environment. Blended learning presents a fundamental redesign of the instructional model and typically includes the following characteristics:

  • A shift from lecture to student-centered instruction in which students become active and interactive learners;
  • Increases in interaction between student-instructor, student-student, student-content, and student-outside resources;
  • Integrated formative and summative assessment mechanisms for students and instructor.

At UIW, a course is considered to be a blended if 15-85% of the instruction occurs when students and instructors are not in the same place.

Online Instruction

Courses with over 85% of instruction occurring without the students and instructor in the same place are defined at UIW as online courses.

Course Load

During fall and spring semesters, the average unit load for a full-time student is nine (9) credit hours. With the special permission of the Program Advisor, a student may enroll for as many as 15 credit hours in very exceptional cases. More than 15 hours taken in one semester requires the approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. Six (6) credit hours constitute full-time in a summer session. Under certain
circumstances, a full-time course load can be defined differently with the approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. The unit load for a full-time doctoral student is six (6) credit hours for course work or three (3) credit hours for dissertation.

Change of Program

Students who have been admitted to the School of Graduate Studies and Research at the University of the Incarnate Word but wish to change degree program after admission must apply for admission to the new program.

System of Grading

The following grading system applies to courses taken for completion of graduate degree requirements:

“A” and “A-” indicate a superior grasp of the subject matter of the course, initiative and originality in assessing problems, and ability to relate knowledge to new situations.

“B+” and “B” indicate satisfactory performance in control of the subject matter and ability to apply principles with intelligence.

“B-” and “C” indicate less than satisfactory performance, and may disqualify the student for further study. See Continuation in the Master’s Program (page 21) or Continuation in the Doctoral Program (page 24) and regulations of each degree program.

“F” indicates failure in the course or withdrawal without following proper procedures. See Continuation in the Master’s Program (page 21) or Continuation in the Doctoral Program (page 24).

“IP” indicates that the student’s achievement in the course has been satisfactory, but certain prescribed work is incomplete or the student was unable to take the final examination. A student needing an IP grade must complete an IP form and have that form entered into his/her file held by the Program Advisor. A student’s registration will be blocked if he or she has six or more credit hours of graduate classes with a grade of IP. Upon satisfactory completion of requirements specified in the IP Completion Form, the student will receive the grade merited by the quality of his or her performance. It is the student’s responsibility to complete all requirements for the removal of the “IP” within one year or sooner as specified by the instructor. If the IP is not completed within the time specified, the IP will be changed to a grade of “F”.

“W” indicates withdrawal within the period specified on the semester calendar.

“P” indicates satisfactory performance at “A,” “A-,” “B+” or “B” level.

“Pass/Fail” grades are not applicable to any UIW graduate degree plan.

Grading Rubric

A 93-100

A- 90-92

B+ 87-89

B 83-86

B- 80-82

C 70-79

F 69 and Below

Note. The nursing program uses a separate grading scale. The scale is listed in the Graduate Bulletin under the Nursing program criteria for continuation and graduation and in the Nursing Handbook.

Grade Point Average

To calculate the grade point average, points are assigned to credit hour grades as follows:

A : 4.0 A - : 3.7 B+ : 3.3 B : 3.0 B - : 2.7 C : 2.0 F : 0.0

Students, who complete their Master’s degree programs with a 4.0 average, graduate “With distinction.”

Once grades are recorded, grades other than IP cannot be changed, except in the case of instructor error. In no case may a grade other than IP be changed without the permission of the school/college Dean. Additional work performed by a student may not be used to raise a grade that has been recorded by the Registrar. If course work has not been completed within one year, the IP grade will be turned to a grade of F. Grades are presumed to be correct when entered on the student’s record. Any question regarding the accuracy of these grades must be raised within one calendar year. Grades are not subject to challenge after one year and will not be changed.


Admitted and non-admitted students may register for lecture courses as auditors. No credit is awarded for audited courses. If a student desires credit, he or she must repeat the course and pay the regular tuition. An auditor may attend lecture classes but does not submit papers or take examinations. Auditors may participate in class discussion only upon invitation of the instructor. Audited courses are not applicable towards a degree, and permission to audit does not constitute admission to the University. A course that has been audited is not part of the official academic record of the University.

The following regulations apply to auditing:

  • Students are not allowed to audit practica, tutorials, internships, theses, clinicals, computer or science labs, and similar courses.
  • Students seeking to audit a course must obtain written approval from the instructor.
  • Auditors pay full tuition for limited enrollment, private instruction, and studio courses, and will be charged 50% of regular tuition for all other courses. Auditors pay all course fees.
  • Full-time students at UIW may audit one course (3 credit hours) per term free, with the exception of courses specified above. Additional audit courses are charged as described above.

English Competency

All candidates for a post-baccalaureate degree are expected to demonstrate a satisfactory command of English in oral and written work with accommodations if necessary. Candidates may be required to take special courses in writing as a condition of their continuance in graduate studies.

Continuous Enrollment

Graduate students must maintain continuous enrollment with the University during the academic year (Fall and Spring). Failure to maintain continuous enrollment will result in a student being declared inactive, which may lead to termination from the program. Students who become inactive or are terminated from their programs due to failure to comply with the continuous enrollment policy must apply for re-admission to the University. A no-fee application for this purpose is available through the School of Graduate Studies and Research.

Leave of Absence

University of the Incarnate Word supports a graduate leave of absence policy to assist graduate students who are temporarily unable to continue their programs. The leave of absence may extend consecutively for up to three full semesters (i.e., up to one year). Extensions of a leave of absence may be possible given the individual circumstances faced by the student and requires a new application. Reasons for requiring a leave typically include bereavement, illness, care giving, maternity, paternity, and call to active military duty. Students requesting a leave of absence must submit an application to their program director, which then must be forwarded to the School of Graduate Studies and Research for approval by the Graduate Dean.


Students who find it necessary to leave the University during a semester must complete the formal withdrawal process. Students who complete a semester and then are not able to return for the following semester must complete the withdrawal process only if they have already registered for the next semester. Students who withdraw from courses before the “Final Date for Withdrawing with a W” (see semester schedule) shall receive a grade of W.

Those who fail to follow the proper withdrawal procedure will receive an F in all courses. As in the case of adding or dropping courses, informal notice to an instructor does not cancel registration or the student’s financial obligation to the Business Office. Information on refunds for students who withdraw is provided in the Financial Information section.

Conferral of Degrees

Degrees are conferred in December, May, and August. Commencement ceremonies are held in December and May. Students must complete an Application for Graduation the semester before they intend to graduate. Filing deadlines for the Application for Graduation are: December Graduation, May 1; May Graduation, October 1; August Graduation, February 1.

Student Records and Student Privacy

Student Records Fee

Upon matriculation, all students are charged a one-time records fee to cover administrative costs associated with the creation and maintenance of the student record. After payment of this fee, transcripts are issued to students free of charge.

Student Records

The University of the Incarnate Word maintains educational records for all current and former students who are officially enrolled. Student records at the University are subject to the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning compliance issues. The name and address of the appropriate office is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605.

Review of the Educational Record

Students have the right to inspect and review their educational record. All requests must be in writing to the Registrar and must identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the students of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the University official to whom the request was submitted does not maintain the records, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. The response from the University official will be within 45 days of the receipt of the request for access.

Educational Records on Campus

Educational records are those records directly related to a student for the purpose of recording the educational endeavor of the student. They do not include law enforcement records, employment records, medical records, alumni records, or faculty advisor/instructor notes. Educational records may be stored in many mediums and are not limited to an individual file.

Amendment of the Educational Record

The student may request an amendment to the educational record if they believe it is inaccurate or misleading. The amendment of the educational record does not pertain to the grade assigned by the faculty. The student should write to the Registrar to request the amendment. The request must clearly identify the portion of the record he/she wants changed, specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University does not amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

Directory Information and Student Confidentiality

The University of the Incarnate Word will not disclose any personally identifiable information about students (except directory information listed below) without the written consent of the student.

Directory information at the University of the Incarnate Word has been identified as:

  • Student's name
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Address
  • Telephone listing
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Electronic mail address
  • Photograph
  • Degrees, honors, and awards received
  • Date and place of birth
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Grade level
  • The most recent educational agency or institution attended

Each student has the right to restrict the release of any or all of this information by submitting a written request to the Registrar’s Office. School officials with legitimate educational interests may have access to educational records, without the students’ consent, if the record is needed in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities. School officials are identified as: a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position, a person or company with whom the University has contracted, a person serving on the Board of Trustees, or a student serving on an official committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.


Students may obtain a transcript of academic records from the Registrar’s Office after initiating a request through that office. The University reserves the right to withhold transcripts for those students who have not met all conditions for admission or who have outstanding financial obligations.

The normal turn-around time for responding to transcript requests is three-to-five days. However, during peak periods, such as the end of the semester or during registration, response to transcript requests may take longer. There is no charge for the transcript; however, a same-day-service fee may be applied. Same-day-service is not available during peak periods.

The University will not provide copies of transcripts or test scores received from other institutions. Students should apply to the original institution for official copies of that work. Official documents submitted to the University of the Incarnate Word become the property of the University and cannot be returned.

Student Complaint Policy

The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) is committed to fostering a learning environment that promotes academic excellence and personal development. Students are encouraged to voice their complaints and concerns in a manner that is respectful of the dignity of the individual, if any, who is the subject of the complaint. It is the policy of UIW that students with complaints are treated honestly and fairly, and that their complaints be handled in a timely manner with regard to resolution of the issue(s) presented. Any UIW student may express a concern or complaint by following these procedures. Please note that UIW explicitly prohibits any member of the UIW community from harassing or retaliating against students who file complaints.


Complaints are most effectively and efficiently managed by first expressing them to the individual, if any, who is the subject of the complaint. Students are strongly encouraged to first discuss their complaint directly with any such individual involved.

Grades/Academic Work

Students who believe they have received an unfair grade must first meet with their instructor. If the complaint is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student, the student shall have the right to appeal a decision in writing to the College/School Dean, or a person designated by the Dean, where the instructor resides. Students may obtain the formal appeals form from the office of the Dean in whose College/School the instructor resides.

Students who have complaints about what they believe to be unfair treatment involving their academic work should contact the appropriate College/School Dean. Unfair treatment applies to any act which may be perceived as either prejudiced or arbitrary in the evaluation of a student‘s performance, or in the imposition of sanctions without regard for due process. The Dean's decision is final and there is no further appeal to another administrative officer.

Academic Advisement/Academic Policies

Students who have complaints about academic advisement or other issues related to academic policies, procedures, or deadlines should contact the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.

Administrative Department

If the complaint involves a policy, procedure, or area of responsibility of a specific administrative department, it should be directed to the supervisor or manager of that department. In each instance of a departmental complaint, the appropriate individual will investigate the complaint, seek a solution, and report back to the student in writing within 10 school days. The department supervisor/manager will keep a record of the decision.


Students who believe that they have been subjected to harassment or treated in a way that violates UIW‘s anti-harassment policy (i.e., harassment related to an individual‘s race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, or disability) by another student, a UIW employee, a contractor, or a visitor to the campus, should immediately report the alleged harassment to the Director of Human Resources, Watson Enrollment Center, (210) 829-6019, or to the Dean of Campus Life, Student Center, CPO 306, (210) 829-6034

UIW Policies, Procedures, or Personnel

Students who have a general complaint regarding UIW policies, procedures, or personnel should contact the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.

Violations of the Student Code of Conduct

Any member of the UIW community, including students, may file a complaint against any student for alleged violations of the UIW Student Code of Conduct by filing a report online at or by contacting the Dean of Campus Life, Marian Hall Student Center, CPO 306, (210) 829-6034.

Additional Resources

Mediation Services

Mediation is a process that attempts to establish communication between people having disputes and assists them in finding a mutually acceptable solution. The end result of a successful mediation is that there are neither winners nor losers, but rather, generally satisfied individuals who have arrived at an agreement, which resolves their dispute as they define it. Mediation is a confidential process. The agreements made by the parties involved are non-binding. UIW offers a mediation program designed to assist all members of the UIW community to resolve problems and disputes. Anyone may initiate mediation. To initiate mediation, contact the Counseling Center, Watson Enrollment Center, CPO 35, (210) 829-3129.

The Student Government Association

Students may address various concerns and comments to the Executive Officers of the UIW Student Government Association (SGA). Concerns regarding specific matters related to clubs and organizations, University policies and practices, or ideas and suggestions for UIW administrative offices may be directed to SGA. Concerns are accepted verbally at their twice-monthly general assembly meetings, at SGA-sponsored student forums, or by addressing an SGA officer. Students may also share their concerns in writing by using the forms provided at SGA suggestion boxes that are located in each building on campus. Concerns directed to the SGA may be submitted anonymously. Concerns are subject to publication in the Logos, the UIW student newspaper. Officers at their regular meetings address students‘ concerns with UIW administrators or in public forums. The concerns received are also compiled each semester by the SGA and priority issues are presented to the University Planning Commission for discussion and action, as needed. Student Government Officers may be reached in the Student Government Office, Marian Hall Student Center, CPO 1210, (210) 829-3833.

Academic Integrity Policy

The University of the Incarnate Word is strongly committed to the nurturing of academic excellence. The University expects its students to pursue and maintain truth, honesty, and personal integrity in their academic work. Academic dishonesty, in any form, constitutes a serious threat to the freedoms which define an academic community. The following definitions and guidelines have therefore been established to secure the maintenance of academic integrity at Incarnate Word.

Forms of Academic Dishonesty include, but are not limited to:

  • Cheating – Fraudulent or deceitful work on tests, examinations, or other class or laboratory work.
  • Plagiarism - Appropriation of another’s work and the unacknowledged incorporation of that work in one’s own written work offered for credit.
  • Counterfeit Work – Including turning in as one’s own, work which was created, researched, or produced by someone else.
  • Falsification of Academic Records – Knowingly and improperly changing grades on transcripts, grade sheets, electronic data sheets, class reports, projects, or other academically related documents.
  • Unauthorized Reuse of Work – The turning in of the same work to more than one class without consent of the instructors involved constitutes academic dishonesty.
  • Theft – Unauthorized use or circulation of tests or answer sheets specifically prepared for a given course and as yet not used or publicly released by the instructor of a course, or theft of completed tests.
  • Collusion – Involvement in Collusion – unauthorized collaboration with another to violate a provision of the Code of Academic Integrity.
  • Facilitating Academic Dishonesty – Intentionally or knowingly helping or attempting to help another to violate a provision of the Academic Integrity Policy of the University.

Instructors who are concerned that some form of academic dishonesty has occurred shall confront the student directly and may take the matter to the Dean of their College/School.

Any member of the student body or the staff of University of the Incarnate Word who is concerned that a student has engaged in some form of academic dishonesty should report the incident to the Dean of the College/School which oversees the course in question. The Dean will then initiate the process of investigation outlined below.

Procedures for Investigating Claims of Academic Dishonesty and Assessing Sanctions

Sanction Assessed by Faculty.

Before any sanction by a faculty member is assigned, the instructor must meet with the student about the violation. Sanctions must be confirmed in writing to the student, copied to the Dean of the College/School which the instructor is a member, and copied to the Academic Vice President. These records ARE NOT placed in the student’s permanent academic file and will be destroyed when the student graduates or otherwise ceases his/her relationship with the University.

  • When Guilt Is Admitted..
    If a student who is confronted by a faculty member for engaging in academic dishonesty openly admits to wrongdoing, the instructor will:
    1. Give the student an F for the assignment in question, and may
    2. Forward the case to the Academic Honor Board of the College/School to consider additional sanctions.
  • When Guilt Is Not Admitted.
    If a student accused by a faculty member of academic dishonesty does not admit wrongdoing, his/her appeal should be made directly to the Dean of the College/School with course responsibility so that the Academic Honor Board can formally investigate the allegation and decide which action should be taken.

Sanctions Assessed by the Academic Honor Board

When cases alleging academic dishonesty are forwarded to a College Dean, he or she will convene an Academic Honor Board. The student (respondent) alleged to have engaged in academic dishonesty will be notified of the convening of the Board. Notices may be personally delivered to the respondent or by placing a notice addressed to the respondent to the respondent’s Campus Mail Box or sent by certified mail to the respondent’s home address. The Board will be comprised of two members of the faculty from the College/School selected by the Academic Dean and two students selected from a list of students previously identified by the college faculty. The Dean will serve as chairperson of the Board; however, he/she will only vote in cases where the Board is split on any given decision.

The respondent may request that a student or faculty member not sit in judgment if he/she feels that the vote may be biased or prejudiced as a consequence. Some substantiation of the claim of prejudice may be required, and the final decision shall rest with the Dean.

The Dean of the College/School that convened the Board may make substitutions to the Board in order to maintain a quorum of five members.

The student (respondent) is presumed not to have engaged in academic dishonesty.

Pending the final action of the Academic Honor Board, the status of the student shall not be altered, and his/her right to be present on campus, to attend classes, and/or to participate in University sponsored activities shall not be affected.

A finding of academic dishonesty shall be by majority vote of the Board. If the Board finds that the respondent engaged in academic dishonesty, the Board may impose sanctions. Sanctions may include:

  1. Receiving an "F" for the assignment in question,
  2. Receiving an "F" for the course,
  3. Academic suspension,
  4. Dismissal from the University, and/or
  5. Other action deemed appropriate.

The procedure of formal inquiry by the Academic Honor Board will include:

  1. Securing a written statement describing the nature and circumstances of the alleged offense from the student, faculty, or staff member making the allegation.
  2. Securing a written statement from the respondent relating to the allegations.
  3. Interviewing separately the respondent and the faculty/staff member alleging the dishonesty in order to clarify and to expand the written statements.
  4. Interviewing any witnesses or other persons claiming knowledge of the incident.
  5. Securing, examining, and retaining any physical evidence related to the incident.

Using written statements, interviews and available physical evidence, the Academic Honor Board will
decide the validity of the alleged incident of academic dishonesty. The decision of the Board
will be communicated in writing to the respondent by being personally delivered, placing the
findings in an envelope addressed to the respondent at the respondent’s Campus Mail Box or
sent by certified mail to the respondent’s home address. Pending the finding of the Academic
Honor Board, the status of the student shall not be altered, and his/her right to be present on
campus, to attend classes and/or to participate in University-sponsored activities shall not be

Appeals of Disciplinary Sanctions Assessed by Academic Honor Board

Any student who feels he/she has not been accorded justice by the Academic Honor Board may appeal to
the Provost for review of the decision. If the Provost determines that there should be a review, he/she
convenes a committee on Academic Integrity which is comprised of two senior tenured faculty
members and an elected member of the Student Government Association. The Committee shall determine
whether the process followed by the Academic Honor Board was fair and impartial and that adequate
consideration was given to evidence and information presented.

  • Timetable: Appeals to Academic Honor Board decisions must be submitted in writing to the Standing Committee on Academic Integrity within ten working days of the Board’s decision.
  • Following a review, the Standing Committee on Academic Integrity may uphold, modify, or reverse the findings of the Academic Honor Board.
  • The decision of the Standing Committee on Academic Integrity shall be considered final. A written statement shall be sent to the appellant no later than three days after the Committee’s decision is reached.