Financial Assistance

Exit Counseling

Home  >  Financial Assistance  >  Exit Counseling

Exit counseling is required for all students who have student loans and/or Federal TEACH grants (from UIW or other schools) who graduate, withdraw from school, or drop below half-time.


TEACH Grants

TEACH Grant Exit Counseling can be completed at Log in using your FSA ID (create one at if you do not already have one). Click on "Start" and then follow the prompts. Once completed, we will receive your exit results electronically.

It is important that you complete the exit counseling, and also that you keep both UIW and your TEACH Grant servicer updated at all times on your contact information. You will also report your teaching service at least annually to your grant servicer in order to keep your grant from being converted to a Direct Unsubsidized loan. Once the conversion occurs, it is not possible to convert it back to a grant.


Student Loans

You may view the Dept. of Education's Exit Counseling guide here: Exit Counseling Guide.

To complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling online, go to, and log in using your FSA ID. You will need to create a new FSA ID if you have not created one previously. Create or retrieve your FSA ID at For a step-by-step on how to create an FSA ID, click here.

Once you are logged in, click on “Complete Loan Counseling” and then choose “Exit Counseling” for your counseling type.

Make sure you list the University of the Incarnate Word as one of the schools who should receive your results. We will not require a copy of the confirmation unless we do not receive your electronic confirmation. You should keep a copy of the confirmation for your own records.

You will be able to receive a full summary of your Federal loans during the counseling session. If you have had alternative (private) loans also, they will not be listed and you will need to contact your lender directly in order to receive a loan summary from them.

If you know your private loan information, you will be given the opportunity to add these amounts during the counseling session to get an estimate of total monthly payments for all of your student loans.

If you have any trouble locating your lender(s), completing your Exit Counseling, or have questions regarding managing your debt, repayment, consolidation, etc., please contact our office at (210) 829-6008, or


iGrad Resources

You have access to iGrad for free through MyWord, or by signing up directly at Resources include budgeting, managing loan repayment, job searches, and a myriad of financial wellness articles and information.