Financial Assistance

Ask Red:

The Application Process

Financial Aid Eligibility


Starting on your Financial Aid:

Follow these easy steps for Financial Assistance. Review the process before you begin!

Step ONE:

Obtain a Personal Identification Number (PIN) from the U.S. Department of Education at This PIN is used to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); and it is used to electronically sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) for federal student loans.

If you are a dependent student, your parent will also need his/her own PIN to sign the FAFSA.  (Find out if your child must file as a dependent here.)

Step TWO:

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at (UIW code: 003578). You may begin this process as soon as January 1st of the current year. Based on the FAFSA, your eligibility is determined for grants, loans, and the federal work program.

The FAFSA is not complicated.  You can avoid mistakes and having to make corrections by preparing information and materials ahead of time (see "Common Mistakes to Avoid when Completing the FAFSA").  If you need assistance completing the FAFSA, please call 1-800-433-3243; or, you can view a helpful video online, The Five-Minute FAFSA, click here.


FAFSA will notify you by email or mail concerning you Student Aid Report (SAR). Please review your SAR for accuracy and submit any corrections to our office. If you are selected for verification, please submit the required paperwork.

Step FOUR:

Students should submit a current UIW Payment Authorization Form

You may fax this form to 210-283-5053.

Step FIVE:

Students will receive their UIW Financial Assistance Award Letter approximately 2 weeks after the FAFSA and the Student Information Form have been submitted and processed. For early awarding, students will receive an Award Letter after March 1st. Please review your Award Letter carefully, your Award Letter will indicate how much you are eligible for in scholarships, grants, loans, and federal work program.  

***Notify our office of any changes (ie, housing, VA benefits, enrollment status, outside scholarships, or changes in program). Submit signed Award Letter only if you are declining the Federal Stafford Loans.

Step SIX:

Payment plans for students wanting to cover the out-of-pocket costs through cash payment are available as early as May (view UIW Payment Plan Options).  If you want to accept your Federal Stafford Loans, complete your Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note.  To apply for a Parent PLUS loan, complete a UIW PLUS Pre-Approval Request form (online at To apply for a Graduate PLUS loan, go to The amounts you are eligible for are listed on your award letter; and all application processes, including the promissory note, are completed online.


If you are interested in participating in the Federal Work Program, please complete all requirements.


If you are interested in Other Loan Options, please complete all requirements. The amount you are eligible for is listed on your award letter.

last updated 02/07/2012


More Quick Links