Processional And Commencement Info
Commencement Ceremonies Outline
- The registrar will start the Processional 20 minutes before the ceremony will begin.
- The faculty marshal and the student ushers will lead students in the Processional.
- Students will remain standing until told to sit by the marshal or the master of ceremony.
- Faculty and/or students from the music department will lead the singing of the national
anthem (words provided in the program).
- After brief remarks, the Invocation will be given. Males should remove their caps
during the Invocation.
- The master of ceremony will introduce a member of the board of trustees to provide
a welcome from the board.
- The master of ceremony will introduce the special guests recognized by the university.
- The master of ceremony will introduce the speaker who will provide the Commencement
- The master of ceremony will introduce the Provost, who will begin the conferral of
degrees, introducing each dean who will in turn call you to the stage.
- The UIW President or Chancellor will recognize guests and provide remarks. He or she
will then ask the graduates to stand and will confer the degrees.
- Faculty and/or students from the music department will lead the singing of the America
the Beautiful (words provided in the program).
- The faculty marshal removes the mace for the recessional and leads the platform party
off of the stage.
- Faculty will leave the Convocation Center/Freeman Coliseum followed by the graduates.
Student ushers and the Registrar’s Office personnel will assist.