Academic Advising

Ask Red:

Academic Advising

Assigned Advisors
All incoming students that are not listed as first-time freshman must be advised by the University Advising Center (UAC). Each newly admitted or re-admitted student will be assigned to a faculty advisor by the middle of their first semester. Students will work with the same faculty advisor throughout their time at UIW, unless they change their major or advisor. The UAC Area Coordinator that handles the student’s major will then become the student’s secondary advisor. All students must get signatures, advised, and registered by their Faculty advisor.

Academic Advising Description/Definition
Academic advising provides you with the opportunity to build a professional relationship with your Faculty advisor. In the University Advising Center, academic advising is a collaborative educational process whereby you and your advisor are partners in ensuring your academic success and outlining the steps for the achievement of your personal, academic, and career goals.  This partnership is multifaceted and ongoing, requiring the participation of both you and your advisor throughout your education.  Both the student and the advisor have clear responsibilities for ensuring the advising partnership is successful.

Student Responsibility
While University faculty and staff members give students academic advice and assistance, each student is expected to take responsibility for his or her education and personal development. The student must know and abide by the academic and disciplinary policies given in the Undergraduate catalog including rules governing quantity of work, the standard of work required to continue in the University, scholastic probation and dismissal, and enforced withdrawal. The student must also know and meet the requirements of his or her degree program, including the University's basic education requirements; must enroll in courses appropriate to the program; must meet prerequisites and take courses in the proper sequence to ensure orderly and timely progress; and must seek advice about degree requirements and other University policies when necessary.

Ultimately, you are responsible for seeking adequate academic advice, for knowing and meeting degree requirements, and for enrolling in appropriate courses to ensure orderly and timely progress toward a degree.

Communication with Parents
Your parents and other third parties do not have access to your academic records, and your advisor cannot discuss details of your records without your permission.  For this reason, your advisor will direct your parents to communicate directly with you concerning academic issues. To give a third party access to your academic records you must complete a FERPA form in the presence a UIW staff/faculty member.


More Quick Links